14 October 2017

What will you do in Computer Science?


My little sister is on her senior year and decided to continue her study in Computer Science, like I did. Funny enough to know that your sister will somehow take path the one you chose. As long as I can remember, I never suggest her to take this field. But here we are, she chose this major for her secondary option.

I think that maybe some of you, my readers, will eventually choose this major as well. So I would love to share my experience.

As my experience, the significant thing that the male students will be dominant attendants but this could be wrong especially if you entered female university. So, you can make friends with the whole female students from your batch, even with your female seniors. I suggest you to make friends with male students too. On early semester, the female students mostly show their denial about being computer science student and several of them will choose another major for the next year. This case would only happens if she had better opportunity.

If you feel you had no passion for this major and if you have better financial, you need to choose another path as soon as possible before things go worse. But if you no, then make up your mind or at least try hard to study to pass the examination. I made up my mind and passed the college on time.

Basically, the computer science is all about mathematical logical. Have you heard about algorithm? Based on Wikipedia, algorithm is unambiguous specification of how to solve a class of problems. You need to create your own algorithm to build a program, but there are also other algorithm that you could find on internet. You could use other existing algorithm in order to complete your algorithm. Algorithm would never be enough to build a program, you need to know about programming language. Programming language is a method to communicate with the compiler to build the application. So, you will use the programming language to write down your algorithm. There are so many programming languages, but in BINUS University you will be introduced to C, C++, and Java. The class will inform you about the programming language, but you need to check it out on internet to enhance your understanding.

Hearing about mathematical logical, you will take the some mathematical class such as Discrete Mathematics, Linear Algebra, Calculus I, and Calculus II. So, if you feel you will take more time to understand you need to spare extra time to study. Ask your friends for a study group, in the group you could exchange information. You can take turn to explain about the subject you've mastered. Isn't that cool way to boost your knowledge by give and take, is it?

At certain point, you will be asked for minor subjects. Like I told you, I chose Artificial Intelligence. For your information, there is no easy minor subjects. I recommend you to choose what you like or at least you're interested in. This could decrease your stress level. I chose different path from my friends, yet we still hanging out together till now. It's never been easy to follow what you're interested in, but you will never regret to retrieve such precious knowledge. It helps me to understand it better than before.

You never know where the path you chose will lead you someday, like me right now doing an unexpected job. You might become an employee or an entrepreneur, mind does changes so do the opportunity right?

Lastly, you need to join community or organizational stuff to make friends and don't forget your priority. Some people messed up their college life because he doesn't have priority. But remember, you need days off for having fun and refresh your mind. Determine your priority and go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment