17 December 2020

Traveling to Seoul




Travel to South Korea is one of my bucket list. I've been a Running Man fans, so I'm really curious. Actually I would like to go to Jeonju, Daegu, Jeju, and several other city, but money won't allow me yet. For this trip, I will mainly stay in Seoul and will go one day trip to Busan. Many people has been to South Korea, but I would like to share my story as well. Here is my solo traveling to South Korea diary...

Disclaimer: This is a throwback story, I went to South Korea (or let's call it Daehan Minguk) in Autumn 2019.

For flight, there will always be temptation to fly cheap with transit, or go fly not-so-cheap without transit. I go solo, and it would be boring to wait alone. Trust me, I've experienced delayed for more than 3 hours back then when Travel to Phuket and it's not funny. When we do transit, there's a slight possibility that our next flight would get delayed. So, it's a big no for transit (unless, all flights will do transit).

The huge players in CGK - ICN route are Garuda Indonesia, Korean Air, and Asiana Airlines. But back then the cheapest one was Asiana Airlines (after Traveloka Epic promo + Smart combo, obviously) for 6.8mio IDR.

Next for accommodation, I would like to book a cheaper one. I knew that my schedule will be packed, so I'm not trying to look out for a luxury room. I found it on Airbnb. The room checklists:

  • Minimalist ✅
  • Have private bathroom ✅
  • No stairs ✅
  • Short walking distance to MRT Station ✅

I'm so lucky that I found a room that has it all with affordable price (384k KRW). I book the room immediately, even tho I had problem, the Airbnb CS team was able to help me. Shout out to the Airbnb CS team, thumbs up! One of the benefit to book via Airbnb is that we can communicate with the host directly and pay the down payment (50%) first.

When there's flight, I need to think about the Airport Transport. Traveloka has the korean rail inventory, but the budget is not matched. So, I found out that their Shuttle Bus is quite cheap (with comfortable seat) and I can drop off directly at Myeong-dong, just across the street. Ah, I forgot to mention that my accommodation is in Myeong-dong, and it's nearby Myeong-dong Station Exit 4.

For SIM Card, it's quite easy. You can just buy it at the exit gate. Once you have your luggage scanned, there would be a convenience store, where you can buy T-Money (for public transportation -- I top up 29k KRW for a week), across the store, you will probably find a SIM Card counter. The process is quite different with Malaysia, in Seoul they will hand out all you need so it's a self service. They will give you the SIM Card, the pin (to help you take out the SIM Card), and the manual book. It's all set. Very convenience, with minimum verbal communication (since English is not their mother tongue). It will cost you around 38.5k KRW.

If you can't find where to buy the Shuttle Bus ticket (around 15k KRW), you can ask the Information Center staff. They will gladly give you direction. After that, you can board the bus safely. Some ahjussi (korean uncle) is ready to help your luggage. The journey took an hour, so you can sleep a while.


Alright, are you in for a very long story?


Let's begin with day 1. A friend of mine who have gone to Seoul said that the temperature would be like in a room with Air-conditioner switched on. So, I only bought what I think would make me feel warm. Here I go with a semi-crop-top hoodie. When the airport door opened, I immediately curse her in Bahasa (speak to myself) since I was so busy with my belonging. Once I get my hands free, I called her, and curse her again. LOL. It was said around 15 degree, in a weather app. Once I get there, it was around 12. I feel naked. I only wear a skinny jeans (suddenly remember that the staff said that the fabric is cool enough to wear in Jakarta). I also wore a thin socks! I tried to find "foot patch" as a substitute for a hot pack. But, in Olive Young, they only have cool foot patch... I was still in denial, like how come the foot patch is cool instead of hot? Since I can't find any other, I immediately sit in the cafe next door to wear the foot patch 🙃(I bought a hot tea as well, btw)





Gwangjang Market

Then, I went to Gwangjang Market!!! I did my research diligently, to find the shortest distance of walking. The route using MRT is Myeong-dong - Dongdaemun (line 4), move to line 5 for Dongdaemun - Jongno 5. It will cost your T-Money around 1,250 KRW.

So many people eat there, local too! I went there on Saturday, so it's packed. I stroll around find what I really want to eat for my breakfast. I choose a kimbab + tteokpoki stall. The imo (korean auntie, can be called ahjumma too), welcome me with "Annyeonghaseyo", and I'm ready to order directly but she immediately hand the menu book. Let's start with "Imooo~, kimbap wa tteokpoki hana chuseyo~" They served kimbap with sesame seed seasoning. The portion is huuuge. Like eating 1.5 ID's portion. I immediately eat the kimbap due to hunger, and it's quite surprising that the kimbap has wasabi inside, I was like tilting my head, making weird expression, and keep my head moving up and down due to the "unexpected". Of course, it was only for the first bite, since now I know what to expect LOL. Oh! And the Imo said that I have a pretty face 😊😊😊😊😊. Definitely will come back yaaa. Both Kimbap and Tteokpoki is KRW 3,000. Then I find Sikhye for KRW 1,000 and Ice cream Hotteok for KRW 3,000. Yes, it's KRW 10,000 for a meal in market. It was main course + dessert right? For restaurant you can eat for KRW 10,000 with free mineral water, but no dessert.

A few days later, I re-visit Gwangjang again with an Indonesian doctor. whom I met during a tour trip. She was in for a new experience. Yeayyy! This time "Ahjumma~ San nakji hana chuseyo". Every "ahjumma" is very excited when I order with "hana chuseyo" 😂, they are so sweet and kind, making the ambiance of the shop is very lovely and lively. San-nakji costs KRW 15,000. I also tried bindae-tteok, but for me, it was delicious, and similar with fuyunghai. I also find a pack of dried persimmon here! I love dried persimmon, why we don't have it dried too here?

I really love gwangjang market, because I feel welcomed after the imo compliment me :3, I want to go back to try "Yukhae".





Myeongdong

It's very packed with tourist. Not only beauty products, they also have so many street snack. I love Myeongdong, I don't know why, but the ambiance makes me keep coming everyday! I love their affordable price as well. I love Mediheal, SPAO, and Stylenanda.

For snack, I only try their cheese lobster. I also found the flower yoghurt (they have discounted price at night!). I also eat cherry blossom ice cream from Baskin Robbins. Not far from there, there is a complex of chinese restaurant. I managed to eat Jjajangmyeon. Once I enter the shop, the ahjumma gave me the menu book. It was weird. Only chinese character, no hangul..... But I think the ahjumma knew better that I can't read it. So she just say "this is jjajangmyeon" LOL. She caught me.

I spend most of my time only strolling in Myeongdong. I don't know why, but I like it. It was very near home, so I can go back anytime. I only went window shopping, not shopping.





Hongdae

It was very packed too! I found a small restaurant here where I enjoy Jeonju Bibimbap with Makgeolli. The shop is small but has 3 floors. I thought I will dine in 2nd floor, but no. The waiter ask me to go to the 3rd. Such an exercise before dinner.....

The waiter gave me the menu book, I didn't intend to eat Jeonju Bibimbap, but there is nothing else that I knew. So here we go with Jeonju Bibimbap. The waiter was cute, he smiles from ear to ear and gave reaction when I order Makgeolli. I think he said "whoa, nice choice". I was kind of shy at the moment, but let's just keep going with "friendly" mode.

The bibimbap is served with side dishes and 3 kind of kimchi. He told me that I can refill the kimchi. He also served a soup. I don't know what the soup is, but I like it more than miso soup. He kinds of gave me a gesture on how to eat the soup, but I almost mistook him LOL he panicked. He thought that I would pour the soup directly to my rice pot. What a cutie.

I love jeounju bibimbap! I also like one kind of the served kimchi, so when I saw the other customer want to refill it, I also standup to follow her. But then, the waiter was waiting near the kimchi station. He kindly help me and ask if I like it. Yes, I love that kimchi, but I forgot to ask what was it!!! I'll definitely came back and ask what was the name of the kimchi.

I was kind of shock when I drink Makgeolli. It was very sweet. But since the bottle is so huge (around 600ml) I asked if I can bring it home. I drank it with the bowl. It's unique, isn't it?

After that, I stroll around to enjoy the live performance of the street dancer. But, the makgeolli hit me. I was feeling so sleepy, so I decided to just end the day.



Gangnam - Apgujeong

Actually, I'm not sure if I was in Gangnam, Apgujeong or Sinsa. But there's a lot of aesthetic clinic by the side of the main road, and there's a lot of cute cafe by the secondary road. Most of the clothing shop you will find by the main road, including flagship store such as LINE and Kakao. In Apgujeong, don't forget to visit Dr. Jart+ flagship store!!! It was really cute for photographs.

I met Syenne here, a junior from high school. We were having a dinner at a chinese restaurant. It was a buffet actually. Mala tang. Ah, for food, here is the important words to know:

1. ...-Tang means something soup (for example: Samgyetang, Galbitang, Seollongtang)
2. Ddak means chicken
3. Gogi means beef
4. Galbi means rib
5. Mul means water
6. Bap means rice
7. ...-Myeon means noodle





Ttukseom

I was very interested in Blue Bottle Coffee. I don't how I did my research, but I ended up in Ttukseom...only for a cup of mocha.





Itaewon

I went there on a rainy afternoon. It was very foggy, so I can't clearly see what's in front of me. So I drop by a restaurant by the alley not far from the MRT exit. I wanted to order a bulgogi, but instead the ahjumma suggest to order the australian bulgogi set. It was upsetting. The set that she recommended is a bit pricey, and looks like the portion is small for me. But she said, the bulgogi that I was going to order is very big portion. Since I was hungry, I just agreed. The alley was small, but eye catching, clean, and feels romantic (?).

I visit a LINE store here. It was filled by BT21. I thought, I won't go anywhere far away, so I just spend my KRW cash here...it was a bad decision. Don't do that ya.





Insa-dong

I came here after Gyeongbokgung Palace, by walking! I was feeling so proud (more like stupid). It was very windy and a long way to go. But, I enjoy my chocolate drink here. After that, I found a poop bread just like that one I saw on Battle trip's episode.

After a while, I stroll around Insa-dong. I found a noodle shop. It's small but packed with customers. I'm in, but I don't know what to eat. I just take a look at the pictures hanging by the wall, and decide to order Naengmyeon. I can read hangul, but not that fast to realize what I ordered. My order came a bit longer. When I take a sip, I was shocked. LOL. It's chilly. Then, I just realized.....that naengmyeon. Pyeongyang naengmyeon from Descendant of the sun, was a cold noodle.

It was huge, and very long noodle. It was a very unique experience for me. I never had a big bowl of noodle, let alone with chewy noodle. It was hard to cut the noodle by your teeth, it was sliding right through your mouth. I was overwhelmed. I did my best not to choked up by noodle, or it will be very embarassing.

Important words to know:

  • An-nyeong-ha-se-yo means "Hello"
  • Gam-sa-ham-ni-da means "Thank you"
  • Sil-hye-ham-ni-da means "Excuse me" -> I think it's more effective than excuse me
  • I-ge (point out the food) ha-na chu-se-yo means "This one please" -> We tend to buy something that caught our eyes, right?
  • Geu-ge mwo-e-yo? means "What is that?" -> After that, you can just google what the local answers, they tend to answer it in simple word (direct word) since you're a foreigner anyway.
  • Hwa-jang-sil odi-eyo? means "Where is toilet?" -> They understand your emergency situation, LOL
All set, you can survive for a week *applause*



I will be back with Seoul Tourist Spot story!


You can find my IG Highlight Story for "South Korea"


No comments:

Post a Comment